Wednesday, May 11, 2016

the Waiting Place

"...headed, I fear, toward a most useless place.
The Waiting Place...

...for people just waiting.
Waiting for a train to go
or a bus to come, or a plane to go
or the mail to come, or the rain to go
or the phone to ring, or the snow to snow
or the waiting around for a Yes or No
or waiting for their hair to grow.
Everyone is just waiting.

Waiting for the fish to bite
or waiting for the wind to fly a kite
or waiting around for Friday night
or waiting, perhaps, for their Uncle Jake
or a pot to boil, or a Better Break
or a string of pearls, or a pair of pants
or a wig with curls, or Another Chance.
Everyone is just waiting..."


Hurry up and wait...
In a matter of 3 days, upon finding out that the hubs would take a job in Charlotte, life has ramped up to turbo speed!  We have been excited to get closer to family, but it has been crazy.  Wednesday we found out that he got the job.  By Friday, we were meeting with our realtor.  Monday, the stager came to help us by clearing out any and all clutter/personal articles (turns out our home wasn't feeling like home anymore).  A couple of days later, a contractor came and we began painting and reglazing our huge, original windows - one of my most favorite features of our house.  I can go all day and not turn on one light.  Hello natural light!!  Sometimes hubs would come home at night and wonder why we would be hanging out in the now dark house.  He think's I'm a little crazy... which may be true! ;)

FASTFORWARD >>

I thought when we stripped our walls and surfaces of pictures, that we were not really home anymore. That was about 2 months ago, when we were getting ready to put our house on the market. In my head, I knew we would be moving to Charlotte.... where we had been pondering on living for months, as we awaited hubs' interview, and then another month as we waited to hear. It has been quite the waiting place. 

We are so blessed to have sold in our first weekend on the market.  We literally went away for a weekend, and never had to show our house!  It's been wild!

We have had going away party after party, and with every goodbye, I realize how blessed we have been in Birmingham. The people and memories flood my mind.



I am leaving my friends and all who have loved, encouraged, laughed, and cried with us. And now, with a tailgate table as a dining table, and air matresses and a pack n play set up, walls completely stripped, our house is not our home. I want us to all cuddle in and read bedtime stories in Crosby's bed, but it's not there. I want to have one last meal, simple as it may be, and sit by Crosby on the bench as he wipes food all over me - invading my personal space, feeding Maggie Ruth more than I ever think she'll eat, catching the hubs' eye and knowing we are blessed. There are so many things that I long to do, but I know we'll make new memories.

"...NO!
That's not for you!

Somehow you'll escape
all that waiting and staying
You'll find the bright places
where Boom Bands are playing.

With banner flip-flapping,
once more you'll ride high!
Ready for anything under the sky.
Ready because you're that kind of a guy!"
-Dr. Seuss Oh the Places You'll Go

As I drove Bubba to his next to last day of school, we talked about how we'll leave on Friday. And how we would be selling our home to another lady and man. And that when we left, we wouldn't be coming back to Birmingham (cue the tears). And we talked about missing friends, but that we would make new ones. He wondered what kind of school he would go to (and I'm secretly thinkimg... "probably none, because they'll all be full. Registration was in January, and we haven't even began to look.)

We stopped at the light right before his school and our beloved church (who is "the people and not the building" -Buddy Gray), and my 3 year old asks this: "Mommy, is Jesus going to be in Charlotte?" I told him, "Yes, Baby. He will be there. And He's with us now. And He'll always be with us. He cares for us and loves us... always. Thank you for reminding me of that. Sometimes Mommy gets busy and forgets."

Funny how when you think you're the one who's teaching your child, roles flip. I remember a quote from a school of education tshirt from college. It said "while we teach children all about life, they teach us what life is all about." 

Amen. And Amen. 

I don't know exactly what's in store for us in Charlotte. And though we'll be in the Carolinas and within 2 1/2 hours of anyone (and no dreaded Atlanta), I somehow think that's not why God has brought us there. 

Our purposes may one day be more clear, but we will try to keep our eyes on Him.


2 comments:

  1. elaine@mail.postmanllc.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ankara'nin en iyi kurye sirketi olan
    kurye ankara hizmette
    sinir tanimiyor...

    ReplyDelete