Monday, May 12, 2014

lemon pound {birthday} cake



The hubs doesn't really go for regular cake.  He would much rather have a pie or pound cake.  We had all different types of pound cake for each layer of our wedding cake.  And he will still tell you that the only bite of cake he got was when we fed each other cake in that awkward moment while everyone's watching you eat.  Except for the one-year-old partially freezer-burned cake...

But anyway, I searched good ole Pinterest and came up with this one from "Drick's Rambling Cafe":



Hubs said he wanted to have more of a glaze than an icing like in the other one I had pinned.  Growing up, we didn't have huge, bounce house, pony-riding, serve a meal, highly themed parties (I blame pinterest & facebook), but my mama (& dad in his own special way) always made us feel special.  And one of the ways she did this was baking us a homemade cake.



Let me back up.  We started off the rainy day with some waffles made on our iron with blueberries and whipped cream on them (and in my haste/not quite awake stupor, I didn't take any pics).  For lunch, we went to Mr. P's deli.  Hubs' favorite lunch place.  It's one of those places that makes their own sauces, spices, and rubs... and will sell you a whole butchered cow (Kirk wants to do that so bad... and I wouldn't mind, except our fridge/freezer is always packed as it is).  It was delicious, as always!  Then we came home in time to get the cake out of the oven, pour the glaze, and let it cool just a bit... warm-out-of-the-oven-cake is so yummy!  We even went on a wedding date and got our second ever babysitter.  :)

Ok... now back to the cake...

I am pretty slow when it comes to baking home-made cakes (since I only do it a few times a year), but I love to do it... especially for a birthday or other special occasion.  There's just something about using your hands to make something for someone that makes it special... and all the butter, sugar, and crisco doesn't hurt either! ;)  I think I may need to get an actual "zester" next time though, because my zest all seemed to stay on the side of my grater and I couldn't get anymore off without grating my own fingers.  My only negative comment is that the cake (though it was soooooo yummy) was not super lemony.  The glaze definitely was, though.  And I'm pretty sure if I had the right equipment/ knew how to zest, it would be even lemony-er. :)

So, it was a special day for the hubs, and we're still eating on his "lemon pound {birthday} cake".

2 comments:

  1. Wish I was close enough to drop by and have a piece of lemon cake and chai tea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why that is my kinda of birthday cake too. Thanks so much for trying my recipe and you are right, it is a true pound cake with a hint of lemon, the real appeal comes from that sweet-tart glaze. and a happy belated birthday to your hubby....

    ReplyDelete