Monday, May 12, 2014

even healthier {Classic Lasagna}






"even healthier {classic lassagna}"




I made lasagna tonight and used an old trick my Mama used to use.  I added extra veggies.  C loves spaghetti & lasagna, and though it has tomato sauce, I figure "Why not chalk it full of veggies?"  C likes green beans, butter beans, corn (does that count as a vegetable?), and (used to absolutely love) green peas... so, he gets by on a lot of fruit on the nights that we don't have one of the veggies he likes.




My Mama used to add extra veggies to our meals growing up.  The only way we could have Kraft Easy Mac was to have it loaded down in broccoli.  I love veggies today, so I'm hoping this will work for my family, too. :)

I used the recipe that I got from Mom, which I think is from the box (no shame in that).






"Classic Lasagna"
8 oz (1/2 package) lasagna, uncooked
15 oz  Ricotta Cheese or 2 cups cottage cheese
2 cups Mozzarella cheese (shredded)
1/2 cup Parmesan
2 eggs, lightly beaten
6 1/2 cups (52 oz) your favorite pasta sauce
1 lb ground beef or italian sausage (browned and drained)
1 tsp parsley flakes

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  In medium bowl, combine Ricotta, 1 C Mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, & eggs; mix well.  In separate bowl, add browned meat, pasta sauce (*** and my "veggetize" step); mix well.  Spread 1 cup of meat-sauce mixture into 9x13 pan.  Place 1/3 of uncooked lasagna noodles over sauce.  Spread 1/2 of the cheese mixture over noodles & top with 1/3 meat-sauce mix.  Repeat layering.  Top with remaining noodles and meat-sauce.  Cover with foil.  Bake 55 mins.  Uncover and add reserved 1 C mozzarella and parsley flakes (I did this before I foiled it).  Bake an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.  Let stand 15 mins before cutting & serving.


***I "veggitized" it by sauteing half a bag of matchstick carrots, a package of fresh, sliced mushrooms, and a bag of spinach.  I did this in the same pan I had browned my beef in.  I added some extra seasoning, because we love garlic & onion... and why not oregano?  This worked well also because I only had a 47 oz jar instead of the 52 oz it called for anyway.


before baking

after baking 
(the water on the top I presume was from all of the extra veggies & soaked in when it cooled)






  

No comments:

Post a Comment