Tuesday, March 12, 2013

When a "stay-at-home-mom" gets {bored}

So I'm currently a "stay-at-home" mom, as many of you know.  I have a 2 1/2 month old and some days I can't wait until my hubby gets home to hand him off.  Other days, I just want to cuddle all day.  And still some days, I feel like I've gotten everything I need to get done and I'm bored.  Dinner's lined up, baby's asleep, and I'm bored.  Now this happens pretty infrequently, but it happens.  (Not that the Cros's scrapbook is done or my floors have been mopped in a while, but we'll just pretend that happens by itself!)

1.  Make dinner for a friend.
I have used my being-at-home-ness twice recently to make dinner for a friend.  I enjoy cooking, but often just do simple stuff.  But this week I made chicken orzo soup for a friend who had had surgery and oven-fried pork chops for a friend who is having back pain and couldn't even walk a day ago.  Often, I feel trapped and confined in my house because of feeding schedules or the weather, but this was a fun thing to do for someone else.  Made me feel good... like I had a little purpose in my day besides looking after the Cros (not that that's a small thing).

2.  Decorate.  Make your home more homey.
I've been wanting to hang some stuff on our walls forever.  So I got some odd frames together and a painted E (for our last name) and put them on the floor to sort them and place them for hanging over our dinosaur TV (it has a built in DVD and VHS player... now that's hi-tech!).  I'm hoping to get them hung this weekend.

3.  Write your husband a love note.
I am not very eloquent when I speak... or at all for that matter.  But I will say that I am better at getting my feelings out when I write.  Every once in a while, I'll write my hubs a note and stick it in his lunch, or leave it in his car.  The last one I wrote was a long one for Valentine's Day, but most of the time they're just quickies to let him know how much I love and appreciate him.

4.  Read that book you checked out from the library (2 weeks ago and have only read on the john).
I checked out 2 Nicholas Sparks books from the library and I think I'm on something like page 18 in the first book.  Lame, I know.  I need to pick that sucker up next time I'm "bored" and see how far I can get before Crosby wakes up or I fall asleep myself.  I'm not much of a reader, but I like the idea of it...

5.  Call your grandparents or sisters (or brothers... or parents, or an old friend).
I am blessed that I still have 2 grandparents still living... well 3, because I claim my Papa Jim who's a step-grandparent since he's all I've ever known.  I know it's a blessing for me when I take the time to call and update them on my family's life.  And I have a feeling they enjoy it too.

6.  Write a note to a friend to let them know you're thinking of them.
I love stationary and have kind of an infinity for it.  I kind of hoard it too though.  I always use the cards I have the most of, as to never run out of all my different kinds.  But anyway... I know how little I get real mail and when I do, how it brightens my day.  So... there ya go.  Do it!

Side Story:  The first summer my now husband, then boy friend and I were dating, I worked at a summer camp and had limited access to my phone.  Kirk was taking a field course in "the bush" of Australia.  so, needless to say, we didn't get to talk on the phone or through email much.  Instead, we wrote letters, just like the "good ole days."  Looking back, that was one of the climaxes of our relationship.  There's just something about a handwritten note sent through the mail that says you cared enough to do it.

7.  Take a picture of your sleeping little one.
I don't take the time to "smell the roses" or just enjoy my sweet baby near enough.  I'm always looking for something to fill my time- catching up on laundry, picking up the house, or my new addiction:  watching episodes of "Kourtney and Kim take Miami".  Very seldom do I just enjoy my sweet little fella.  I know that when he's all grown up, I'll say "Where did the time go?  Why didn't I take time to breathe it all in?" so I"m going to make a point to try to do that.


...And then just once you get started, you know Crosby wakes up and it will take you days to finish the task, but that's ok.  One can dream, right? :)


No comments:

Post a Comment