Saturday, December 29, 2012

{One} Week Old

     Wow!  So much to write about.  My thoughts are so scattered.  Today Crosby is already 1 week old!  He has already grown and changed quite a bit and Mommy & Daddy have learned oh so much!  --like the fact that you can go through 5 outfits in a day on account of a whizzing little boy; or that white, breastfed, boys are most likely to have jaundice... & that holding your crying baby with nothing on but a diaper to get his heal pricked is no fun; or that once you get up at 3am to feed, diaper, and put your booger down again, you've lost an hour of sleep... and you'll be back up at 6am to do it again; or that he is the best snuggler in the whole wide world and he loves to hunker down on your chest and stick his butt up in the air and just fall asleep; or that all of the faces he makes (smirk, smile, grimace, eyebrow raise) are the cutest things ever... even if they don't correlate with anything at all.
     A little over a week ago, I was just tired of being pregnant and had no idea what was in store for me.  On December 22 at 9:15 am, our little one was born into the world at 8 pounds 12 ounces and 21 1/2 inches long.  When I saw him, I couldn't get over the fact that he was ours.  He was perfect, and beautiful... and I felt undeserving.  He was welcomed by aunts and grandparents and we, his parents, were glowing.  The first night, we were thinking "this is too easy"... and guess what?  It was!  The next day he was circumcised and was fussy most of the day... and that night.... oh, that night!  My mom stayed to help his exhausted parents... and what a godsend she was.  I found myself falling asleep while nursing and she would wake me up.  In between feedings, she held him and kept him content as we rested.
     The next day was Christmas eve.  Our little stinker had lost some weight and the Doc recommended for us to supplement with formula.  This was a big blow to me as I was doing my best to figure out the whole breastfeeding thing and feeling like I wasn't doing an adequate job.  After a couple of days, his weight got back up and he was able to go back off the formula again - praise God!  Anyway... so it was Christmas Eve and we were looking forward to going home on Christmas Day.  The next day, Mommy & Baby were discharged with Doc orders to bring the Cros in the next day to have his bilirubin checked.  The first day it was checked, it was the same as in the hospital, but the second day it began to come down.  We were cleared and don't have to take him again until his regular check up.  :)
     Christmas is kind of a blur and in my mind, I'm kind of still waiting for it to come.  But the "stuff" and "traditions", though fun, just didn't do it for me this year.  Our sweet boy was the only thing that could.  Coming home for Christmas was the best Christmas gift of all and I imagine there won't be another Christmas like it in all our years.  Knowing that we were a family, and that all our time and effort and love put into our home and getting prepared for our sweet baby was all worth it.
     Now that we're home and settling in, with some help from Granna keeping up behind the scenes, our home seemed so empty before.  Definitely, three's a family.  We love our sweet boy more than we thought we could love anyone.  And it's just like your parents tell you, "You'll understand when you have your own children one day."

No comments:

Post a Comment