Tuesday, December 4, 2012

distressed {changing table}

distressed {changing table}

We started with an oak shellacked dresser.  It was not my style at first.  It had ellaborate, brass handles and looked out of date.  But hey, it was free from hubby's Mom and had meaning because it was hers, so we decided to work with it.  The dental molding was a plus, though.  I am so pleased with how it turned out to be our son's changing table.  

1.  We stripped the top totally with denatured alcohol by dousing it and rubbing and rubbing in a small 1x1 in place at a time until the shellac came off and it was down to the wood.  We weren't sure what kind of pulls we would use on the drawers, so we went ahead and filled the holes with putty and sanded them until they were smooth.  
2.  We buffed the rest of it with coarse sand paper to rough up the shellac so that the primer would adhere.  We didn't worry about the rest of the dresser being totally stripped because of the primer and because it wouldn't get as much wear and tear as the top would. 
3.  We primed with an oil-based primer.  It went on really thick, so I would advise to take it section by section and work quickly.  Also sand the primer before painting.  (The pic above right shows the top painted and the side primed.) 

4.  We painted with "Antique White" from Sherwin Williams - a quart was plenty.

5.  We sanded (distressed) the corners and random places in the middle or where there was already a dent or some wood showing through the paint.  We went all the way to the wood in these places.

6.  We  taped the backs of the drawers so we didn't make a mess of them and glazed the whole dresser, whether there was distressing on that particular part or not.  The glaze was a "faux glaze," which is like a thick white glue that you can buy in quart containers from hardware stores.  You'll need to mix in whatever color paint you'd like for the distressed places to take color.  We chose a chocolate brown.  Wipe it on with a cloth, making sure to get it on thick where you distressed it.  Then softly wipe it off after it has had a couple of minutes to cure.  There's nothing to it.  This was our first time doing it and we just kind of experimented with it.  If you think it looks "dirty" as my husband did, you can wipe it off even more with a wet cloth.  (See pics below of glaze and then after)
7.  We bought new ceramic drawer pulls from Hobby Lobby, measured and lined up holes, and ta-da!  Here is the finished product!  We later added a changing pad and a basket to the top.  To see the whole nursery, go here.






No comments:

Post a Comment